|Red Bird Missionary Conference|
May 1-2, 2009, Big Creek, Ky.
Bishop Lindsey Davis presided over his first annual conference
session of Red Bird Missionary Conference, held at The Joy Center
United Methodist outreach center. Members of the conference acted on a
variety of mission-related and budgetary items, and approved three of
the 32 constitutional amendments referred to the annual conferences for
Under the theme “Christ the Solid Rock,” the conference:
- Built an altar of remembrance and thanksgiving from rocks
brought forth by the delegates of the congregations and mission
institutions. The altar was in memory of servants who have died since
last annual conference, as well as thanksgiving for the connectional
church. The conference throughout history has stood on the solid rock
of Christ and continues in faith that the support needed will be
provided during these uncertain times.
- Commissioned Dan E. Griffiths as a provisional member on the elders track.
- Was motivated by the Bible study and preaching of Bishop Davis.
- Heard former Red Bird missionary Ronnie Hopkins, now serving in Nicaragua, as mission night speaker.
- Celebrated a mission offering of $15,624.
official greetings from Rachel Barnett with The Advance, who presented
a citation honoring Red Bird Missionary Conference for the
denomination’s highest per-capita giving in 2008.
- Honored nine home missionaries in a service led by Becky
Dodson Louter, executive secretary, Office of the Deaconess and Home
Missioner Program. Red Bird Missionary Conference has nine of the 17
active home missionaries. Each home missionary was presented with a
- Accepted a certificate of recognition for 100 percent
payment of apportionments from the General Council on Finance and
- By a two-thirds majority voted in favor of three – 8, 19
and 22 – of the 32 constitutional amendments referred to the annual
conferences by the 2008 General Conference. The approved amendments
relate to the definition of membership, the election of clergy
delegates to General and jurisdictional or central conferences, and the
addition of Bermuda to the Northeastern Jurisdiction.
- Presented the Harry Denman Awards for Evangelism to David C. Warden (clergy) and Charlotte Davis (laity).
certificates to 62 percent of Red Bird’s chartered churches and
outreach centers for “five-star mission giving” and 58 percent for
giving to the six special Sundays with offerings.
- Heard the stories of missions that are built on the
foundation of the “solid rock” in the ministries of the churches,
outreach centers and mission institutions.
- Approved a change in charge lines.
- Adopted the 2010 budget with no increase in giving for World Service and Programs.
Membership stands at 1,488, up 16 over the previous year. Worship
attendance stands at 751, up 52. Church school attendance stands at
380, down four.
--Ruth A. Wiertzema